Monday, May 12, 2014

Kids and Books

Good Morning dear readers,  Today is a lovely day in sunny California.  Hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day.  The boys and Frankie made me my coffee and breakfast.  The boys helped clean the house and Frankie kinda behaved himself.  Summer is just around the corner and the kids will be outta school before you know it.  I read an article that says when their on summer break they lose some of the skills they learned through out the year at school.  Especially when it comes to reading.  So to help the kids, many local libraries have reading programs.  They can win prizes for how many books they read.  But sometimes its not just the prizes they need for encouragement, its just finding the right book or an authors series of books.  My favourite author is Mercedes Lackey.  I bet you thought I was going to say Joanne Fluke.  She's more for adults.  Any ways Ms. Lackey as a series of books set in the magical world of Valdemar.  It's medieval with a touch of magic.  What kid doesn't like magic.  It also has horses or horse like beings that can talk to their riders.  Filled with adventure, excitement and mystery.  Kids will relate in some way to the teen heroes and heroines in the stories. If they can relate they will enjoy it.  What better way to encourage reading.  I recommend getting her first series Arrows of the Queen, which you can find on Amazon or any bookstore.  I'm currently reading her collegium series and I'm lovin it.  Much like the Harry Potter series adults love her books too.



No comments: