Thursday, June 13, 2013

Hi, my name is Lorraine.  I am a single mom with 2 teenage boys and a demon Siamese, who thinks he's a German Sheppard. The reason I'm writing my blog, I want to help other people in similar situations.  I went to school for 4 years and I got my degree in Health Education.  But 2 months after graduating, I got diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, makes it hard to work when you can't do the work you were trained to do (public health).  So, I'm taking my love of teaching and saving money and writing this blog.  If you like learning preventive health techniques, murder mystery cooking recipes, pets and saving money then you'll like my blog.


                     Health Care You did not know about

Healthcare is an important aspect of our lives and it affects everyone.  If you don't have it, this can cause a great deal of stress by exacerbating other problems.  There are a lot people who have coverage available to them and they don't even know it.  For example, those of you who are ex-military need to check with your local veteran’s administration office.  I found out last year I was covered by the military for everything except dental.  Because I'm low income I don't have any co-pays.  I am well taken care of by my doctors and no more stress.  So give it a try and you might be surprised.

Now if you have coverage but it doesn’t take care of everything, there are programs that help with medication.  There are several drug companies that help with payment when you have low insurance or no insurance.  Some of the companies that help are Glaxo-Smith Cline, Pfizer and AstraZeneca. Check with your doctor to find out which company makes your medication and give them a call.
Alternatives to medication otherwise known as vitamins and minerals can be gotten very inexpensively. Here are some of the ways you can get them cheaply.
1. Use your loyalty cards from the drug stores and use the points to get them discounted i.e. CVS, RITE AID and WALGREENS to name a few.
2. Use your rewards programs gift cards to pay for them i.e. my points, swag bucks or survey sites that pay with gift cards.
3. Some vitamin companies have frequent buyer programs that can be redeemed for high value coupons.  My personal favorite is Schiffloyaltyrewards.com.  NatureMade.com is another that rewards with high value coupons.  Check out Centrum.com for a free sample of their vitamins.
Before I leave you today I like to share my favorite smoothie recipe with you.  I got the recipe from Dole and it has an added benefit of being an anti-inflammatory drink.  Don’t let that scare you it tastes really good and its easy to make. The added benefit is if you have headaches or other aches and pains it helps lessen them.
         
                      Pineapple-Strawberry-Banana Smoothie

1 can crushed pineapples
1 cup pineapple juice
I small carton strawberry yogurt
Handful of fresh strawberries
1 small banana chopped
Blend in your blender and voila your done.
Until next time where we will enjoy a little murder mystery cooking relax and enjoy life.

No comments: