Friday, April 10, 2015

Frugal Southern Beans and Ham

Good Afternoon readers,  I decided since I had a ham bone leftover from Easter dinner I would attempt my mother's Beans and Ham recipe.  This recipe brings back memories. My mother would cook this all the time.  She was definitely from the deep south can't get any southern then Water Proof  Louisiana.  She never actually told me how she made it.  I just remember how she cooked it.  I added some of my own ingredients to give it a little different flavor.  So here's what you'll need:

1 Ham bone or ham  hocks
1 lb bag of dried kidney beans
4 cups water
1 crock pot
1 cup diced onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic

You will want to soak the beans overnight to soften them up.  To give the beans that great flavor put the ham bone in from the beginning of the cooking process.  Rinse beans and then place in crock pot with Ham bone then add 4 cups of water.  Let cook on low for 8 hours.  In the last two hours saute onions and minced garlic in oil for 2 minutes.  Then place in crock pot let cook remaining 2 hours. Serve with corn bread.  Bon Appetite.

                                               For easy pinning
                                              https://www.pinterest.com/pin/362610207474357705/




No comments: