Monday, February 17, 2014

Shepherd's Pie Soup in the Crock Pot

Good Afternoon dear readers,  I'm doing more crock pot recipes.  This recipe just begged to be adapted to my crock pot.  It's shepherds pie in soup form and it can be made in a regular soup pot at a fraction of the time(30 minutes).  But like I said I wanted to experiment and put it in the crock pot so here we go. I found this on the Mr. Food website and changed it for my purposes.


1 lb ground beef
5 cups of water
3 cups of beef broth
1-16 ounce package of diced potatoes frozen  (if cooking in crock pot defrost them)
1-16 ounce package of mixed vegetables frozen (if cooking in crock pot defrost them)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups instant potato flakes

Brown the meat in skillet or soup pot depending on how your going to cook it.  While browning meat put other ingredients accept the potato flakes in crock pot.  Cook for about 4-5 hours in crock pot.  Because I did not defrost the vegetables I had to add an extra cup of potato flakes and 1 more teaspoon of onion powder to the soup.   Almost forgot I added 1 cup of diced onions to the soup for a more oniony flavor. Added the flakes last 20 minutes of cooking. It turned out really well after adjusting for the frozen veggies.

If wanting to cook in soup pot brown meat and drain then add other ingredients accept flakes which will be added the last 10 minutes.   This cooks for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy your soup it goes great with sliders. Because my other son doesn't like shepherds pie, we are trying the six sister pulled pork with Dr. pepper sliders today. 






No comments: