Monday, July 8, 2013

Life After Highschool-How to help your teen learn how to budget

My son Kyle is 17.  He will be graduating next summer.  I wanted to make sure he will be able to take care of himself.  What I mean by that is he can plan a menu, shop and cook without any problems. Because when I was growing up, we had gender specific roles.  Boys repair cars and other electronics and girls ran the household. Obviously this dates me.  That does not work in to days world.  My boys love to cook.  They each have their own recipe books, after watching me put my together. This becomes a family tradition and can be shared with their children.  I digress here. To get Kyle started, I had him write a grocery list using the sale ads and his recipes. He was told if you had $20 per week what would you do?  He had to try to come within budget. He did pretty good. I had to remind him to put veggies and fruits to his list. This gets the kids thinking about saving money and being on a budget.  We also talk about Fast food.  If you had $10 would you blow it on McDonald's or go shopping at the grocery store.  His answer shopping at the grocery store.  He also has learned how to use coupons.  Kids should know how to use coupons to get items cheaper.  My explanation to my boys, if I don't use it all for groceries their is money leftover for other things. Here's a couple of recipes.  They are very easy and will last for more then one meal if only one person.

                                                  Shrimp Newburg

                                                  1lb. salad shrimp (defrosted)  coupons gets this for $4 lb
                                                  1 can (10-3/4ounces) cream of shrimp or mushroom soup
                                                   undiluted
                                                  1/4 can water
                                                  1 tsp seafood seasoning
                                                  Hot cooked rice

In a saucepan, combine soup, water and seafood seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in shrimp. Heat through. Serve over rice.


                                                 Parade Salad

                                                 1 bag very veggies mix salad
                                                 Add fruits- we use cut up strawberries, grapes and kiwis
                                                 Add cut up cucumbers
                                                  Toss together in a big bowl and your done

This is an easy salad recipe that gets kids to eat fruits and veggies. My youngest would say the Chinese pea pods are bitter mom.  I'd say put a strawberry on it.  This recipe is interchangeable you can use other fruits, veggies or even meat and nuts to it. What I like is you don't need salad dressing.

Until next time where we'll hear my son Conor say eew! Steak cooked in coffee.


No comments: