Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Homemade Greek Gyros-Better then Restaurants

Good Afternoon all,  I starting a little early for Wednesday's post.  I've decided to which around every once in awhile on the food recipes.  I love the murder mystery stuff but I wanted to share some my families favorites with you (accept the chili my son is adamant that's a family secret recipe).  I have been on a food quest so to speak.  I have been looking for recipes that match my favorite restaurant recipes i.e. Mongolian beef, gyros, pot stickers and pasta fagioli.  So far I've found the first two still working on the pot stickers and the pasta fagioli.  The gyro recipe came from Taste of Home which I altered because it had some things I did not like in my gyro.  This version is very healthy no lamb just ground turkey.  It is very yummy.  So here are the ingredients you'll need to make it.


1 lb. ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cups sour cream
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 Tbsp prepared ranch salad dressing
1 small tomato chopped (notice I didn't use tomato boys will not eat it)
1/3 cup chopped cucumber (you can slice them and not put them in the sauce but put them in the pita instead)
4 pita breads (6 in) halved and warmed
Shredded lettuce ( I use preshredded in a bag because can't stand for lone periods of time).

Now your ready to cook your gyro.  Get a nice large pot, I like my dutch oven.  Brown meat, onions and salt together in pot.  Cook until no longer pink and drain.  Note you don't have to add any oil to the pot.

Next you can mix your wet ingredients together, the mayonnaise, sour cream and salad dressing.  This is up to you.  You can place the cucumbers and tomatoes in the sauce or hold off and put in the pita pocket after you put your lettuce in the gyro.  Layer your gyro with lettuce, cucumber, meat mixture and sauce and your done.  It tastes just like the Greek restaurant down the street.








No comments: