Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Colon Cancer Awareness Month

Good Morning dear readers,  Weather as been atrocious this past weekend and been having computer problems because of it.  Those of you who read my facebook page know that I had a recent colonoscopy done.  The doctors found some nasty little business that they removed.  The polyps were benign but precancerous.  What this means is I will have a colonoscopy done every 3 years to make sure their are no more.  I wanted to share this with you because colon cancer is on the rise at alarming rates.  After my colonoscopy I did some research on how to keep the little buggers from coming back. Here's a list of things you can do to prevent colon cancer.

1.  Eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains-simple changes in your diet can be a big help for example I love tuna sandwiches instead of white bread use whole wheat with raw spinach. Give your body a boost drink a fiber supplement like Metamucil.

2.  Reduce your fat intake-this one is hard starting to use more low fat oils in cooking like olive oil.

3.  Limit Alcohol consumption

4.  No Smoking what so ever

5.  Talk to your doctor about Calcium Consumption- research is showing that it can reduce the risk of recurring polyps.

6.  Talk to your doctor about Aspirin-In the news research has stated if your on low dose aspirin for 5 or more years it can cut your risk my 32%

7.  Be physically active and maintain healthy weight-walking, swimming or even yoga can help

8.  Vitamin D-this wonderful little supplement is a miracle research has shown this is a big help in alot of  disease prevention.  I take this already because with my other meds this keeps the brain lesions from forming (I have MS).  Its also a natural anti-inflammatory agent.

9.  Drink lots of water-helps flush the body out-having a hard time get those little jug water bottles and fill it drink from it all day and that's your daily requirement right there.

10.  Early Screenings-don't wait until your fifty to get a screening especially if you have family history of colon problems or other stomach related issues.  This is one of the most important things you can do to help prevent this disease.

This is my health education post for now.  Enjoy your week if you have any wonderful whole grain recipes please send them to me.  For more updates join me on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/lorraine2448




No comments: