Sunday, June 21, 2015

Frugal and Easy Lima Bean Soup

Good Morning dear readers,  I grew up growing, shelling and cooking Lima beans.  Lima or Butter Beans has they are called in the south are a family staple.  My father was what was called a weekend gardener and had this huge backyard garden.  He grew everything from blackberries to beans.  The family was always putting up beans, berries and even peaches.  Unfortunately I don't have a garden, I live in an apartment.  So I make do with cans from the store. When I saw the recipe on the Bushes can, I decide I wanted to make my own version of this soup.  This recipe was altered to fit my families needs:  Here's what you need:

2 cans Lima beans (15 oz undrained)
2 cups mixed frozen veggies (peppers, onions and celery)
2 TB vegetable oil
1 can tomato sauce
1 Tsp. oregano
4 cups water
2 Tbs flour
1/2 cup frozen diced onion (decided to add more at the end)

Saute your veggies in large pot with oil. Then add 1 tablespoon flour per 2 cups water until blended.  Add sauce, oregano and beans to mix.  Let cook on stove for 20-25 minutes on low.  Enjoy and Bon appetite.






Don't forget fourth of july and back to school  is coming so be sure to check out the designs in the shop on my sidebar for all you might need.


No comments: